dracula 1958 dvd?

12 replies [Last post]

Bart Hindmarsh's picture
  • Online Status: Offline

although not wishing to drag everybody back down through the years, it remains a mystery to me that Prince of Darkness, Scars, Has Risen and 1972 are all out on dvd but the best - the original 1958 Dracula - is not. There are moments - definitely moments - in that film that deliver a massive and electrifying impact that I feel can still stand deservedly against many of today's films.
And to have Mr Cushing's and Mr Gough's performances as well would be a great pleasure. Does anyone know what is happening to the film's dvd future?
Love Bart

Joakim Lundberg's picture
  • Post Number: #1
Re: dracula 1958 dvd?

It's out on DVD. You can order it. I have seen it in the shops.

Matt Gemmell's picture
  • Post Number: #2

It's out in Britain & America so you should be able to order any region disc you like via the web .

Jacob Remery's picture
  • Post Number: #3

This movie has been released in Australia within the Hammer Horror Collection set.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=2192&SID=10
I don't know if "Horror Of Dracula" is available as a standalone disc.

Otherwise you might want to import the UK disc. We, as Europeans can play most Australian (region 4) Pal discs.
I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be the other way around. Smile

Andrés Verdú's picture
  • Post Number: #4

Hello everyone,

Dear Bart, I am not sure exactly where you are from (which is of relevance for obvious reasons relating to DVD regions, etc.) but I can point you to the following source for the first Hammer films Dracula DVD release: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002VF5KW/ref=pd_rhf_p_1/202-7532387-7709424.

The DVD is priced at £7.99, which is not too bad for a DVD. According to Amazon, it was released as a DVD in October, 2004, and this one is specifically a region two DVD (Europe, Japan, South Africa and the Middle East including Egypt). However, the one which I bought was called Hammer Horror Collection and featured Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Mummy. I purchased it from an actual store, not online, but they are advertising one on Amazon at the following link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JMSN/ref=pd_rhf_p_1/202-7532387-7709424. The only detail that one should note if choosing this one is that, oddly enough, it is apparently only available through them as a DVD region one, (US and Canada.) The price for a new copy of this three-in-one edition is given as £26.57.

Anyway, I hope that this information will be of some use to you, Bart, although, if I were you, I would also try checking at nearby retailers (assuming you do not live anywhere too remote,) because the chances are that they may have this either in stock, or they can order it for you. You could also think about checking out ebay, always assuming you have no problem acquiring goods through there, because I often notice that they have the Dracula DVD listed on there. Anyway, take care and God bless, and best of luck acquiring this film on DVD:

Warmest regards,

poeraven Smile

littleb (not verified)

littleb's picture
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #5

Hey Bart, the 1958 Dracula has been out here on DVD for a couple of years, separately or in something called The Hammer Collection with five other classic Hammer Films. For us in the US it's available at amazon.com as well as other sites, so if you check around I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy as well. Cheers!

Dave Hutchens's picture
  • Post Number: #6

It's been out for quite some time. Probably out of print now, but you'll find it if you search around a bit. Try eBay, Amazon...you'll get it.

Milkbone (not verified)

littleb's picture
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #7

I think I read somewhere that "Horror of Dracula" was "supposed to be" the next one released. Then I noticed that "Satanic Rites" came out(AKA "Count Draculd and his Vampire Bride"). I agree with bart that "HoD" needs to be on DVD too. I'm "shopping" for a"DVD player" and you can "bet your bottom dollar" -------that I'll be buying all the Chris Lee DVD's I can find!!!!Laughing out loud :D

Frederick Bergstrom's picture
  • Post Number: #8

In the USA all the Hammer Drac films but Drac AD 1972 are availible on DVD

Richard Beattie's picture
  • Post Number: #9

You may want to give this site a try http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/

Amber Klinge's picture
  • Post Number: #10

I got this DVD and it is AWESOME!!! It was very neat to see this and it was my first film I ever saw with Mr. Lee in it as well as The Curse of Frankenstein and The Taste of Dracula. I also have Dracula Prince of Darkness on DVD as well. I also have almost all of his Dracula films as well as the My Uncle was a Vampire. Neat. I can't believe on how hard is to find these rare films it took me at least almost two to get all of them.

Thanks,
Amber

dracula ad72's picture
  • Post Number: #11
dracula 1958

Bart Hindmarsh wrote:
although not wishing to drag everybody back down through the years, it remains a mystery to me that Prince of Darkness, Scars, Has Risen and 1972 are all out on dvd but the best - the original 1958 Dracula - is not. There are moments - definitely moments - in that film that deliver a massive and electrifying impact that I feel can still stand deservedly against many of today's films. And to have Mr Cushing's and Mr Gough's performances as well would be a great pleasure. Does anyone know what is happening to the film's dvd future? Love Bart

loved that movie meself,think it was the best,because it was the first in the series,and peter cushing presence was awsome,

still think the best ones are when lee and cushing are in them,still remember seeing the 58 film in the cinema

when i was a kid,a true classic,hammer horror!!!!!cheers.

ill be watching it tonight..cant wait,havent seen it in years

dracula ad72's picture
  • Post Number: #12
dracula 1958 film

just watched this film,a true hammer horror classic

the definitive dracula film,of the seven that was made

what a performance from peter cushing,as van helsing.

www.christopherleeweb.com

Copyright 2000-2011 Christopher Lee Web. All rights reserved. | Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Statement | Contact Us | Top of Page